Saturday, December 5, 2015

Linux: Mounting an NTFS Drive for Read/Write Access

Recently, trying to work on a client's computer using the Ultimate Boot CD. I came to the situation where I could mount the Window's drive that I was trying to work on  and I was able to see the files, but it was read-only. This meant that I could not really manipulate that data.

The trick was mounting it as read/write. We will use NTFS-3G to do so which was installed already with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Open a terminal as root and type in the following two lines:

mkdir /mnt/ntfs      

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda5/mnt/ntfs/       (Where sda5 is the name of the drive you want to use)


The first line above creates the mount point and the second line carries out the work of mounting the drive with read/write access.

And just like that, read/write access is now available on the drive.



No comments:

Post a Comment