Sunday, September 13, 2015

100th Post: The Defining Technologies, Hardware, and Software That Led Me Here



Post 100 of this blog will be retrospective of the top 10 things that have influenced or gotten me to where I am in my technological journey. These are in no certain order. Enjoy!


1. Java programming language - In high school, I took the Oracle Internet Academy courses. It was the first time offered at my school. The 2nd course had us programming in Java and it quickly become one of my favorite languages.

2. Microsoft Windows XP - This was the operating system that helped get me into computers. XP was my playground for all things computer related. I got my first taste of dealing with malware and programming under XP.

3. Android - My first smartphone was a Droid 2. Android programming got me into app development and thinking about programming for apps. Seeing an app you made on someone's device is a powerful feeling.

4. Nintendo - My first gaming system and also one of my favorite (Super SNES). I remember playing the classics and I'm still drawn to them today. 8-bit and 16-bit games define some of my past.

5. Compaq laptop - My first personal laptop was a Compaq. So much gaming and coding was done on this machine. I still have it today!

6. iPhone/iPad - A full blown computer system that fits in the pocket.

7. C++ - The programming language when you want to get serious about game development.

8. Gamedev.net - Learning the concepts of game programming before I could even begin to carry them out. The site and the people behind it were very influential to me.

9. Apple Macbook - The laptop that was so redefined and sleek. Unix underpinnings which lead me into a new world of development.

10. Comcast Cable internet - Going from dial-up to cable internet was eye opening. So many more possibilities were opened. The amount of information from sites, videos, and books geared towards tech/programming is near endless.

BONUS 11. Hacker News - One of my starting points for information. Some of the best programming resources have been found here.

BONUS 12. Linux - Linux, a whole new operating system to me and a look into a different lifestyle. Open source software is a GREAT thing and I feel like it should be in the spotlight more.



No comments:

Post a Comment