Monday, September 7, 2015

Android Emulation on Windows 10 - Troubles/Fixes

Recently I ran into some troubles getting my old Android emulators running under Windows 10 after my upgrade from Win7. I believe the trouble came from upgrading from Windows 7 Professional into Windows 10 Home edition. In doing so, I lost access to Hyper-V.

I was trying to get the Microsoft Android emulator running as VirtualBox isn't fully compatible with Windows 10 yet. Also, Genymotion seems to be having trouble with the new version of VirtualBox.

The only way I was able to get an emulator up and running was to fire up a virtual machine running Windows 8.1 Pro. From there, I was able to get the Microsoft Android tools installed and running:





So if you run into this issue on Windows 10 that is the cause and that is a possible fix. Another way would be connecting a device to your computer and testing it through there. I do this sometimes on my Galaxy Tab, but I always like having the emulators around too.


Here are a few resources on mobile emulation and mobile device lab setups:

Android Testing on Devices and Emulators

Testing Mobile - Emulators-Simulators-Remote-Debugging/

How to Build a Device Lab

Setting up a Mobile Device Lab

Etsy's Device Lab


No comments:

Post a Comment