Saturday, January 3, 2015

Xbox 360 Error Code: 42FE-0000-3080-0504-8007-0070 Fix


I recently came across another Xbox 360 error code that proved to be quit frustrating. The error occurred on my brother's Xbox and would not allow him to apply an update for Xbox Live. Without this update, he could not play games online or even add time to his account. It would say an update was available, but when you chose update it would look like it was working for a few seconds, only to error out with the error code of: 42FE-0000-3080-0504-8007-0070.

I saw everything on this issue from checking network connections, checking amount of free hard drive space, and clearing the system cache. None of these fixed the issue. Finally I was able to find the fix rooted deep within an Xbox forum post.

Once my brother got a new controller (one of his buttons was broke) we were able to try this fix and it fixed the issue and he was then able to play over Xbox Live again.

To apply the fix for the above error,

1. Go to Settings  >  System Settings  >  Storage  >

2. Now highlight the main system hard drive unit of your machine.

3. When highlighted, press the follow button combination on the Xbox 360 controller:

LB, RB, X, LB, RB, X

4. Go through any prompts that appear and you should then be able to download the update and get your system back to running properly.


Hopefully, a few people will find this useful if it happens to their machines and can quickly find this information without having to root around like I did.


8 comments:

  1. I can't believe that worked, my xbox 360 has been busted for almost a year. After being 2 weeks out of warranty and talking with xbox customer service for what seemed like days, all for nothing. I had given up on the system. This button combo worked....crazy. Why didn't they know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very glad that your system was helped by this. I was very frustrated too for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Microsoft should hire you. This helped me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fix, it helped me. I called exhaustive search for solution, I called Microsoft for help. They didn't fix the problem.

    Shame on Microsoft they don't have solution to their own products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the man! Worked for me. Received an XBOX 360 in the same state. After searching the internet fora few hours I ran upon your post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the man! Worked for me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking in, I can't believe this worked.... but it did! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete